10 surprising names that make the NHL opening Roster.
Hey guys, so we are back here with another blog today and in this one I am letting you guys know some very surprising names that I saw make the NHL opening night rosters, as we have seen the first few days of game action so far and there are a couple of players that really caught my eye and that I found surprising that were named to teams opening night rosters, so maybe you guys had different surprises to the opening night rosters and I would love for you to let me know your surprises in the comments, but without further ado here are the 10 players that I found most surprising made the NHL opening rosters.
10.) Konsta Helenius
Age: 20
Position: C, RW
Drafted: 1RD 14th, 2024
Quick Analysis: now Helenius was a bit of a surprise to me to actually see make the lineup but wasn’t a shock, Helenius due to injuries last year got his first taste of NHL action and didn’t look out of place in the 9 games he had at the NHL level and looked great in his stint in the postseason, I thought he would start at the AHL and get some valuable AHL experience because I thought that there wasn’t enough space for him at the NHL level, but he was able to crack the lineup and I think he should be a solid top 9 forward for the Sabres going forward.
9.) Nikita Klepov
Age: 18
Position: LW
Drafted: 1RD, 15th 2026
Quick Analysis: so another players that I am still surprised made the starting lineup but I am not overly shocked is Nikita Klepov, now Klepov was the 15th overall pick in this past years draft and was someone I don’t think anyone was expecting to make the roster this season, but after signing his ELC this offseason and the Ducks management saying he could be fast tracked to the nhl it looked like he would get at least a shot to make the NHL, but not only did he impress in training camp, but coupled with the Terry injury and getting rid of Kreider, all of those factors allowed Klepov to make the lineup and at least to start he will be at the NHL level.
8.) Trevor Connelly
Age: 20
Position: LW
Drafted: 1RD, 19th 2024
Quick Analysis: now a interesting prospects to make the opening night lineup was Trevor Connelly, now last year Connelly had his first taste of pro level action as after finishing his college career he played last season at the AHL level and didn’t look out of place putting up 49 points in 46 games played, now he has been one of the best Knights prospects in years and with the loss of Dorofeyev and some depth Connelly was able to crack the roster after this years training camp, and I think he will be a very effective forward for the Knights this year.
7.) Filip Hallander
Age: 26
Position: C, LW
Drafted: 2RD, 58th 2018
Quick Analysis: now one of the most surprising names in my opinion to make the roster and someone who came out of left field at least for me is Filip Hallander, now Hallander is not a recent draft pick as he was taken back in 2018, been with the Penguins a bit but was also out of the club for a bit (overseas and with the Leafs), and he does have some NHL stints including playing 13 games last year with the Penguins, but I thought for sure he would start in the minors and be a call up option, however with Pittsburgh having a lot of injuries (Rust, Kindel etc), it allowed him to make the lineup and I think he should be a solid top 9 forward until the Penguins get a bit more healthy.
6.) Reid Schaefer
Age: 23
Position: LW
Drafted: 1RD, 32nd 2022
Quick Analysis: now another guy who I thought would probably not make the lineup and start in the minors was Preds forward prospect Reid Schafer, now Schaefer was originally drafted by the Oilers but was traded a number of years ago to Nashville in the Ekholm trade, and hasn't had a ton of NHL stints has he has been developing in juniors and that is why I thought he would start at the AHL level, but over the past few years he has turned into a fantastic forward prospect, even getting into 47 NHL games last year and putting up 8 points, so Nashville saw enough to keep him in the NHL and I think he should be a solid bottom six forward for the Preds this year.
5.) Theo Lindstein
Age: 21
Position: LD
Drafted: 1RD, 29th 2023
Quick Analysis: now a guy who I am not personally surprised made the team but I think some other people might be is Blues top D prospect Theo Lindstein, now Lindstein was taken in the draft a few years ago and has looked good overseas as well as in the minors and due to injuries even had a NHL stint last year putting up 2 goals and 4 points in 17 games, now I thought after making some offseason changes Lindstein stood a good chance to make this years lineup and he did, and I expect to play well for the Blues in more of a top 4 D role for them this year.
4.) Andre Lee
Age: 26
Position: LW, C
Drafted: 7RD, 188th, 2019
Quick Analysis: now a guy who wasn't even on my radar for making the team but was able to just make the opening night lineup was Andre Lee in LA, now Lee has been a decent call up option for the Kings the past few years as he has been great in the AHL and a few times gotten NHL stints over the last two years having 2 points in 7 games last year, but he had a solid training camp and with Perry and Fiala out to start the year, he was able to just get in, and I think he should be a solid bottom six forward at the very least until the Kings get a bit healthier.
3.) Owen Michaels
Age: 24
Position: C
Drafted: Undrafted
Quick Analysis: now maybe the most shocking name on here or at least one of the most shocking has to be Owen Michaels, not many of you have probably heard of him because he until very recently was a undrafted guy playing in the NCAA, Michaels had been a pretty solid College player the past few years and last year put up 26 points in 39 NCAA games and it was enough for him to sign a deal in Edmonton, so he had a alright training camp but with injuries (to Savoie, Janmark, RNH etc) it left Edmonton shorthanded so he was able to crack the roster, and I think he should be a solid bottom six forward until the Oilers get a bit healthier.
2.) Alberts Smits
Age:
Position:
Drafted:
Quick Analysis: so another player from the 2026 draft that I found making the lineup even more surprising then Klepov had to be 5th overall pick Alberts Smits, now Smits was the 5th overall pick this past year and looked great overseas and even him signing his ELC wasn't surprising, but we didn't here a bunch about him making the roster as much as Klepov, but he put on a show in training camp and didn't looked fazed at all, so the Rangers made the decision to keep him in the NHL after training camp, and if he makes it past 9 games, I could see him be a key top 4 D for the Rangers.
1.) T.J Hughes
Age:
Position:
Drafted:
Quick Analysis: now maybe the biggest surprise of them all was T.J Hughes from Colorado, now similar to Michaels in Edmonton, Hughes was a undrafted player who put up 57 points in 40 NCAA games last year, and he didn't look half bad in College and earned himself a 1 year deal in Colorado and then proceeded to have a fantastic training camp which lead him making the team ( a few Av's being injured also helped), but I think Hughes has a chance to be a solid bottom six forward this year for the Avalanche.
Honurable Mentions: Hoyt Stanley (OTT), Adam Jiricek (ST.L) and Judd Caulfield (ANA)
So those are a few guys who I found surprising were named to their respective teams opening lineups, and I do think there could be others in here which is why I would love to hear your opinion below, did I touch on all the surprises, and if not who else surprised you, let me know down below, don't forget to check out my YouTube channel and I can't wait to see you all soon.
%20(1280%20%C3%97%20720%20px)%20(23).png)










Comments
Post a Comment